- Remove the old oil filter sealing ring from the mounting face
- Ensure the mounting face on the engine is clean and free from damage
- Make sure the centre threaded adapter is fitted correctly and undamaged
- Confirm the filter is correct for the application
- Lubricate the sealing ring with clean engine oil
- Hand tighten the filter ½ – ¾ turn after initial seal contact, or as recommended by the engine/vehicle manufacturer.
- Fit a damaged or dented filter
- Use a wrench to tighten a filter unless specified by the engine or filter manufacturer.
Cartridge (paper element) filter
- Make sure the old seal has been removed from the groove in the filter housing
- Ensure the filter housing has been thoroughly cleaned
- Inspect for burns or sharp edges, ensuring there are none on the filter housing
- Make sure the correct sealing ring is fitted, if more than one is supplied
- Tighten according to the engine/vehicle manufacturers instructions.
- Re-use old sealing rings
- Fit damaged filters
- Overtighten the centre blot.